Tuesday, November 01, 2005

I am hiding out.

I went to the eye doctor the other day and he informed me that my contacts are shot. He also told me that I would have to wear my glasses for 3 days prior to my eye exam to get an accurate reading. I really would like to see out of my new contacts, but three days is a bit much.

So anyhow... today is the first day. I have cancelled all activities for the rest of the week. I will not even be stepping outside to take the garbage to the garage for fear of being spotted.

It has been 14 yrs and 1 month since anyone other than my husband (current and previous) have seen me with my glasses on. My new friends have never seen me and by now people who knew me back when I wore glasses have kind of forgotten about it. Just the way I like it.

It is so weird. Because usually I am not a vain person at all. It is just the glasses that bother me. I guess its probably from being made fun of in school. I looked like a normal kid other than the fact that I had glasses that made my eyes look 10 times bigger than they were. I looked like two big eyeballs coming at ya.

I realize in my head that glasses really don't change who I am at all. But I am still a big baby about the whole thing. It is retarded to think that a grown woman would stay in her house hiding out for days because she doesn't want to be seen with glasses on. Oh well.... I am retarded... There ain't no way I'm coming out.

I will rejoin the rest of the world at about 11 am on Friday morning. After the appointment I can put my contacts back in.

I thought about posting a picture from my glasses wearing days just for the amusement of those who might happen upon this blog, but after some thought...there ain't no way that I would even do that. Maybe one day I'll get over this silliness... but I doubt it.

6 comments:

Deb said...

I used to wear glasses in school, and was made fun of. I was legally blind in both eyes- so I was literally wearing coke bottles. Then I switched to contact lenses. Okay, this was a bit much to get used to, but I did it at the age of 12. After all the saline solutions, fumbling in the morning to get my glasses so I can bump into the walls to put on my contacts---I decided to go with lasik eye surgery.

From being legally blind in both eyes...I now see 20/20 when I wake up.

It's the best investment I ever did! You can even do payment plans if the surgery is costly. It costed me $4,000...for both eyes. BUT---you don't want to go to a doctor who is too cheap, these are your eyes you're talking about.

Have you ever thought about this option before? NO MORE SALINE SOLUTIONS!!!! NO MORE CONTACTS GETTING DIRTY! Think about it! :)

Mountaingirl said...

I went several years ago and they told me I was not a very good candidate for Lasik, but that there was something else that would be approved in a few years that would work for me.
So when I go fri for my exam I am going to talk to him about it.
I would love to have eye surgery. I have to wear the gas permeable contacts and my eyes are always irritated.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I would leave a comment except I am sure you can't read it. So I'm not commenting, except to say I love commenting to anybody named Mountain Girl. "Wolverton Mountain" is one of my favorite tunes. Too bad you'll never know that, you bein' blind as a bat and all that... So I'll just mosey along withouot commenting.

Pirate said...

This is the fourth time I've tried this. I say wear the damn things outside and whereevr you can embarrassed the ones you love or love you. Be sure to put tape on the corners though.

Unknown said...

love ya picture..now show us one with glasses on....and yea...I think ya should wear your glasses outside..just to see the reaction...I bet you're good looking in glasses...so come-on..post us a little pix with ya and the glasses....come on...you can do it!

~Op~

Genna said...

I was teased all throughout school also for my "four eyes" and it changed my life when I got contacts. So much that I REFUSED to wear glasses...EVER.

Like Ms Deb, I also got Lasik last year. It was so amazing... I was almost legally blind before the procedure, could not even see my hand in front of my face without my contacts. When I sat up in the chair after the procedure, I could instantly see the parking lot--four stories down! I even drove myself to my follow up the next day! Very liberating. No more solutions or contacts rolling around in my eye.

The best thing about it--when I wake up in the morning, I can read the alarm clock clearly.