Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Isleep deprived mother syndrome

I haven't slept the night thru in a very long time. I have a seven month old who didn't get the memo. You know the one that said, "at seven months you should most certainly be sleeping thru the night and giving your poor rundown mother a break." I need to find out who is in charge of sending those out and let them know that Pteradactyl boy was left off the list. (Actually I do feel sorry for the little guy his teeth are killing him. He has three already.)

I guess I'd love to blame my sleep deprivation completely on him, but I have to shoulder my part of the blame....which happens to be about 99.9%. I have lead him to believe that I am a 24 hr milk machine. It started out so simply. He was hungry in the middle of the night so I would bring him to bed to nurse and fall asleep in the process. Well, know he thinks he needs me, the human pacifier, to put him back to sleep. (My neighbor says who can blame him. He is after all of the male persuasion and what man could pass up the oppertunity to lay next to a warm, soft woman with a boob in his face while he is going to sleep. He wants to know where he can sign up. He also attributes breastfed babies being the happiest to this theory.)

I have thought about letting him cry it out. But there are several problems with this. First and most importantly, I have an uncontrollable urge to make everything ok for my kids and I can't stand the thoughts of him crying in the middle of the night. Second, I have the Banimal sleeping in the next room. You absolutely DO NOT under ANY circumstances want to wake that child up in the middle of the night....especially in an unpleasant way. If he got roused up, we would all be crying. (I think he gets that from me.)

I need the "easy button" like in those Staples commercials. I just keeping hoping that the situation will resolve itself with little or no effort on my part. And I am sure that it will...about 5 mos or so from now when the little booger weans... but I can't make it that much longer.

No comments: