Sunday, October 09, 2005

that's for old people

Well, I finally did it. I have been putting off having a will drawn up since my first son was born. I've known down deep all this time that I needed to do it. I can't stand the thoughts of other people or the government making decisions for my kids. But there is something truly unnerving about signing your will.

At first I thought it was no big deal to figure everything out and put it on paper but then the inner control freak came out and I thought of thousands of possiblities of things that could come up. Thankfully, my husband let me know that I got to take a break. That if I were to die that I was relieved of my duties, so I didn't have to have an answer for everything. And that probably the people reading it would be happier if it wasn't as long as an epic novel.

I thought the hardest part was over (figuring out all the details) but boy was I wrong. Signing it proved to be almost traumatic. My nuerotic tendencies surfaced and I started to feel like maybe signing it was going to set off some horrible chain of events that would end with my untimely demise. I think the fact that I was turning 30 soon and that my husband was urging me to think about life insurance policies didn't really help either.

But its done and over with now. I can sleep easy now at least knowing that its taken care off and that if, God forbid, something did happen to me before my little boys are grown that they would be cared for. Ten years ago, I never would have believed that I would have a will at 30. That's for old people. Maybe I am old people now?

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Congrats on getting that done! Thanks for coming by! I hadn't been around here in a while 'cause I thought you'd quit blogging. Nice to see you back.

Pirate said...

You may have inspired me. I have been married twenty years have four kids and no will. I have plenty of insurance just in case I die but they'll have to battle it out if I go first.

Drop by my blog sometime I am a true mountain boy myself. You may enjoy some of my posts regarding mountain rural life.

clew said...

Boy oh boy ... I've been on my husband about us needing to do this for years now, and especially since our son was born (almost 2 yrs ago now). Being that he's been in the throes of a midlife crisis, he's bucking it ... Scares him a bit ...

Kinda sucks getting old and being responsible, huh? ;)

Surfed over from Cheryl's blog. I'm a flatlander but a mountain woman at heart. Maybe I'll see ya again ~ Have a great day!