Thursday, October 13, 2005

Fall is here!!!!

I love this time of year. After the muggy days in September the air seems so much cleaner and crisper. The haziness is gone from the sky and it is such a brilliant blue. The sun is much lower and it seems much brighter. You have to squinch your eyes to keep it out. And it feels cool out until you stand still but then it seems like the sun will burn a hole thru your shirt.

All the squirrels and critters are running around trying to get ready for winter. There are lots of birds and butterflies around this time of year. I have a butterfly bush outside my kitchen window and there are always a few there hanging out. And those pesky gnats and misquitoes know that their days are numbered.

The leaves are really starting to change here now. They aren't at their peak yet, but they are close. I can't wait until all the maples turn. They are my favorites. I have a favorite tree in the forest nearby and every year I go and take a look at it when its at its peak. It is such a beautiful tree. It is so big and old and full and it has such a breathtaking reddish-orange color.

A few of the trees have already lost their leaves. It is great to go for a walk and hear those leaves crunching under your feet. And when all the leaves are down and they have covered the ground completely it looks like a scene from a movie.

The big field in front of our house has lots of colors in it as well. The green is fading and the reds and yellows and browns are coming out as the grass and weeds change. Its almost time to cut the field and then for a few days there will be those big hay bales sitting out there. I love to see the field full of hay bales with the old red barn in the background.

People are putting out signs for corn mazes and hay rides. The apple orchards have special apple picking tours where you ride on trailer pulled by a tractor and have picnics. Not to mention everyone is starting to make pumpkin and apple recipes now. I guess that might be why I like fall the most. It seems like this time of the year is when everyone makes pumpkin pies and cooked apples and we drink apple cider. Yum.

I feel like I need to be outside all the time, because fall is over before you know it. It seems to go by faster than the other seasons and then winter is here. But I don't want to think about winter now. I just want to soak up as much of fall as I can.

2 comments:

Pirate said...

I agree with you about the fall. The best and shortest time of then year. You are a true mountain girl from how you describe fall.

Jamie Dawn said...

Last fall, we drove through the Smokey Mountains and spent a few days in Nashville. The colors were spectacular! I had never seen fall like that before.