Tuesday, November 14, 2006

watching a train wreck from the sidelines

There is nothing I hate worse than watching someone I love make very bad decisions. I wish sometimes that I could just let younger girls spend a day in my head and learn from some of the completely stupid mistakes that I have made.

I know that my mistakes aren't for nothing... I, at least, have learned from them. But man, its been a long, hard road to get to where I am today. It just kills me to see someone else starting out on that road. I have a relative that just turned 18 and she quit school and she's in love with a guy that may not be so great for her. Not that he is a bad guy, its just that he doesn't seem very mature. I understand the attraction.... believe me. That whole no one pays attention to you so the first guy that really shows you any interest at all you latch onto for dear life and pray that it never ends I get it. That was me at that age.

Its funny to think back on my first 'real' relationship... I say that with a hint of sarcasm. He was a complete idiot. I say that in the very nicest way possible. But at the time, I thought that he was the greatest. I even accepted an engagement ring from him at the tender age of 19. eeekkk... I would never survive raising a daughter.

At the time I thought that our love would never end and that he was my everything. But life has a way of happening and eventually I woke up and realized that he wasn't even close to my anything... much less my everything.

At that age I thought I was so smart and so mature. But in retrospect... sitting here at the ripe ole age of 31 I see just how childish I still was. Not not mention niave and oblivious. I didn't have a clue. I don't think I really started to even get a clue until I was in my late 20's. And even now I am sure that when I am 40, I'll look back at 30 and think, 'man, look how much further I've come.' Its just a shame that you can't take some of your maturity and experience and transplant it into someone else.

I guess when you are watching a train wreck from the sidelines all you can do is pray. So that is what I will do. I know that God got thru to me....eventually. And that all things are possible with Him.


(....all you can do is pray.... I guess my own lack of faith or whatever you would call it shows thru sometimes. When I reread my post and saw that statement, I realized how foolish I can be. I said it like that is a last resort when I have ran out of human options then I'll go to God. God is still working on me. That should be my first response and my most important response to any situation. )


....

If we truly love people, we will desire for them far more than it is within our

power to give them, and this will lead us to prayer: Intercession is a way of
loving others.--Richard J. Foster

No comments: