Monday, November 20, 2006

Christmas Plans

The holidays are upon us. I can already feel the pressure mounting. I am doing better each year about getting rid of things that don't work for our family and adding in more traditions that do. Some of this tweeking is a little upsetting to extended family, but....that's the way the cookie crumbles.

This year I think our Christmas Eve tradition of going to my grandparent's house is going to get the ax. I have given it alot of thought and I really think that it is for the best. My grandma passed away four years ago and my grandpa hasn't decorated or had the meal at his house since. It is now at my mom's house. We don't usually get home until late and the kids wake up cranky on Christmas morning. --We are going to invite my grandpa down for a special dinner of his own with us on the 23rd that we still get to see him.

This year we are going to stay at home and start a tradition of our own. We are going to make a special meal. Not really sure what... but something out of the ordinary for the kids so it will be memorable. And then we are going to read the Christmas story and talk about the true meaning of Christmas. I am determined to put Christ back as the focus of our Christmas. I would like to find a Christmas cartoon or something of that nature that we could pile up and watch.

We have also added another new tradition this year on tree decorating day. This year we are going to buy each of the boys a new ornament that symbolizes something that has been important to them and let them open them at the end of decorating. So that will be the last ornament on the tree.

I am also looking for an advent calendar or coloring book or something of that nature so that we can talk about something Christmas related each day leading up to Christmas. I am going to use it instead of the devotional that I usually use with the kids each day.

I am really looking foward to Christmas this year. Despite some ruffled feathers, I think it will be the best Christmas ever.

1 comment:

A said...

I can make three children's christmas related movie suggestions depending on the age of your kids:

The first one is the Veggie Tales Christmas. It's good for really little kids. Pretty catchy and is definitely a keeper.

The second one is the claymation special The Little Drummer Boy which is usually about $9 for the DVD at Walmart which covers the nativity as well.

The third one is for older kids and it's called The Nativity Lost. It's usually available on DVD but is harder to find it is the story of a girl who finds herself homeless on Christmas and the only place warm she finds to stay is a shelter which is hosting the Nativity Story as a play. She falls asleep in the isles and dreams she is Mary from Mary's perspective