Wednesday, November 08, 2006

My mission

My mission this month... which was inspired by Thanksgiving... is to give a card or some small token of thanks to all the people that have influenced my life in a positive way. I got a note the other day from a girl I know from a book club I am in and she just told me how my friendship had been a blessing to her. And it just made me feel so great to know that I was able to touch someone.

I pray that God will use me and lots of times I really don't see it happening. Or I am not aware when I am smack-dab in the middle of His will. I say things and do things and I walk away and forget about them and never realize what an impact that it made. Now that works for good and bad. But we are always more focused on falling short. But it was nice to know that I had done something good and uplifting and helpful.

So, I thought what a great thing to do for the people that have been there for me. I kind of have a list in my head of the people that I want to do this for. Today I put something together for a gal in my Wednesday night bible study. She is always so upbeat and you can just feel the joy radiating out of her. Not just happy, but joyful. You know the kind of Paul-like joy. Not happy because everything is going perfectly, but joy because she has found the secret to life. She always thinks to compliment people and say words of appreciation. She is someone that I have learned a great deal from and I hope that this little gift just lets her know that people notice her acts of kindness.

Next on my list is my childhood sunday school teachers. I haven't seen them in years. I don't go to the church I did as a child. But both those ladies had such a profound impact on my life. The first one was my teacher when I was a preschooler thru about kindergarten or 1st grade. She didn't have any kids and she was so excited to see us coming each week. I felt so important to her and so loved. She taught me the simple lessons, the basics. I still have the children's bible that she gave me.

The other lady was my teacher from about fourth grade to middle school. She was there when I gave my life to Christ. And I don't think that I would have made that decision without her loving guidance. She exhibited true fruits of the spirit. I read a book recently called Naked Fruit and there was a line from it that said that 'fruit is what markets God to a hungry world.' I think that seeing her fruit is what gave me a hunger for God.

I didn't see that at home. But to my mom's credit she did take me to church faithfully. So without her putting me there physically I would have never came in contact with these ladies. God is giving me a heart of love for her and I am going to let her know how much I appreciate her taking me to church so that I could be apart of all of that. My unforgiveness for her is slowly and I do mean slowly melting away.

1 comment:

A said...

I think that might be my mission in January. Start the year off on the right foot.