Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Well, I didn't make good on my promise. I have been a terrible blogger for another week. I have had little to no free time here lately and I just have not felt that inspired.

But here we go anyhow....

I met a girl a couple of weeks ago who was pregnant with her third baby and was having problems that caused her to not be able to work. Times were hard for her and her husband and she was worried that she wasn't going to be able to do anything for her kids for Christmas. After I talked to her I couldn't get her off my mind. But it was kind of depressing because I felt pretty helpless. Being a stay at home mom myself we keep a tight budget and don't do big Christmas ourselves. But I just kept thinking about her and her kids.

Well, I mentioned it to few people and I guess I mentioned it to the right ones. Actually, I really do believe that it was just a God thing. He planted a seed in my heart and I in turn planted a few. But long story short.... Some people got involved and they brought in food and presents for the kids and some cash for them.

The girl called my mother in law in tears ( My mil was who introduced us). She couldn't believe that strangers were so generous to her and her family. It just made me feel so good. She didn't have any idea who got the whole thing rolling. It felt so good to be a secret Santa's helper.

I think it was a good lesson for me. Sometimes I am hesitant to get involved because I think I won't be able to do what needs to be done. But I think it helped me to realize that just because I can't contribute financially like I want does not mean that I can't contribute in some meaningful way.

So I guess the moral is I need to get up off my apathetic bow-hunkus (My grandpa's word for butt) and do something more often.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

What a wonderful story, and just the kind of thing that should happen at Christmas!