Thursday, December 22, 2005

Thinking back on past Christmases

I was thinking about the Banimal getting a bike this Christmas and it made me think about a Christmas when I was a kid. I was probably in the 2nd grade, maybe 3rd and all I wanted for Christmas was a blue and white BMX bike, just like all the boys in my neighborhood had. It had orange writing on it and knobby tires. I just thought I couldn't live without it. And sure enough, Christmas morning there it was under the tree. ( I was so scared that my mom might buy me a pink 10 speed, because she thought it was more appropriate.)

I also remember that we had bad weather that year on Christmas. Not snow, but sleety, slushy, icey precip. But Christmas morning I bundled up and went outside and rode my bike.

I think I enjoyed that bike better than anything I ever got. I could ride with all the boys and jump dirt piles just like they did. I fit right in. I don't know how many miles I put on that bike.

Hopefully, since the Banimal is not quite 3 and his little bike has training wheels, he won't be jumping any dirt piles or ramps when he gets it this year. Thinking about stuff like that makes me anxious for the future. I can't wait to see my boys get big and see them doing things that I did when I was a kid..... wait a minute.... after giving this some careful consideration and recalling some of the things I did as a kid....maybe I'll just savor these moments while they are little.

No comments: