Sunday, December 11, 2005

I'm back...

I have been a bad blogger for the last week. I have been reading alot and doing my usual duties (mom, maid, etc..). I am addicting to civil war novels. I read the Truest Pleasure a long time ago. It is not really a civil war novel. It is mainly after the war, it got me interested in North Carolina fiction. Alot of the NC fiction books take place during the Civil War or shortly there after.

My absolute favorites are Truest Pleasure and Cold Mountain. I could read those over and over again. This weekend I broke down after much deliberation and rented the movie Cold Mountain from the library. I wish that I had not. I hated it. I think on the movie they should say 'Very Loosely based on the book by Charles Frazier' instead.

I thought Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellweger were ill suited for their parts and their accents were terrible. I was just so dissappointed. I know that the movie never usually lives up to the book, but I just didn't expect that much of a letdown.

The characters in the book were so real and interesting. It seemed like the movie's characters were just flat, little shells. yuck. yuck. yuck.

Well, enough moaning about Cold Mountain.

I am going to try to put my book down this week long enough to blog some. So I promise to try to be a better blogger. I have so many fave blogs that I like to read it will take me a week to get caught back up.

4 comments:

Pirate said...

the kids got me the Cold mountain movie for father's day. I haven't watched yet though. So you're telling me that i need to read the book first? Its a deal.

history reader too. I read a lot about our forefathers and dead presidents.

Cheryl said...

Yeah, that movie depressed me. Maybe I should try the book--they're always better. I always try to read the book before I go see the movie!

Mountaingirl said...

Do not read the book first. Watch the movie and you might be able to enjoy it. Then read the book. If you read the book, you will hate the movie.
The book is a great read. I love the way he writes. I wish I had that kind of talent. His descriptions of characters and places are so rich, you can see everything in your mind so clearly.

Pirate said...

Hey bud what have you been up to?