Sunday, December 04, 2005

Christmas parade

Well, I had the pleasure of attending two Christmas parades this weekend. A town about 10 miles away had one yesterday and the little town that we live in had theirs today. Our little town is much smaller, but I thought our parade was much better.

We kind of have a little bet that goes on each year. My friends and I try to guess how many 4-wheelers will be in the parade ever year. All you win is bragging rites, but its still fun. This year was a dissappointment though. There were only a couple.

But just as always there was a ton of candy. Its like Halloween backwards. You don't have to dress up and go door to door. You just stand on the sidewalk while people who are dressed up throw candy toward you. (or in the case of the little smart aleck boys...throw candy at you at high rates of speed. Every year there are always one or two little mischievious boys hurling candy at unsuspecting onlookers.)

I think Santa had given into the whole Atkin's or South Beach diet craze, because he was noticeably thinner. He was teetering on the edge of what my grandmother would call "poor".

I have decided that kids today definately have too much candy. I watched little boys and girls run out to pick up candy and look at it and decide it was not what they wanted and throw it back down on the ground. I couldn't believe it. When we were kids we would race out for any little piece on the ground. We'd risk life and limb by running out in front of the next float just to save a piece from getting run over. I was also surprised at all the candy wrappers on the ground afterward too. My parents would have smacked me upside my head if they had caught me throwing down candy wrappers.

Not parade related, but funny none the less..... I was in Kmart yesterday with the Banimal and we rounded a corner only to be met with a mounted deer head singing 'Sweet Home Alabama.' You know the whole world has gone mad. If that is not enough to entice you, BUCK (he has a name ), also sings "On the road again." The kicker is the price tag. You can have this redneck singing deer head for the low, low price of $119. I would love to know how many of those are bought this season.

4 comments:

Pirate said...

our pardade is next Saturday. i love any parade. i see them as inexpensive fun that tell me a lot of the people in a certain community.

Cheryl said...

Redneck singing deer? That is hysterical!

Unknown said...

hey cool deer...think it might be on sale after Christmas....lol....

We would run out and pick up the candy too..we'd eat it..didn't matter if we like it or not..we ate it!

OP~

thewriterslife said...

Good God that price was outlandish! You know what my significant other LOVES to do whenever we go into Walmart? He goes right to the Christmas department and turns every one of them on. I, red-faced, walk away as far from him and the orchestra as possible.