Thursday, September 08, 2005

God never gives you more than you can handle.

I have always heard the saying " God never gives you more than you can handle." I have decided after having kids that it must be true. And since its true, I have decided that God doesn't think I can handle very much.
I have friends who have babies that cry. And cry alot. But I have had two beautiful little boys, neither of which ever cry. I mean there have been times that I have wondered if they were okay. Shouldn't babies cry some? Mine very rarely ever do. But when they do I think 'man this is terrible. Who could deal with this all the time?' Obviously not me and God knows it.
I have also seen toddlers in stores lay down on the floor, flail and kick and scream bloody murder over a toy or a sucker. But my little boy will look at the toys and hop right back up in the buggy without a fuss or a toy and go on out of the store. I just look at him and wonder sometimes 'Is he normal? Whatever normal is. Don't you want to beg and plead for some cheap toy that you will have forgotten about before you even get home? Don't you want to see the pained look on my face while I run from the store praying that someone from church doesn't see this meltdown?' My brother was still laying down pitching temper tantrums in the sixth grade.
Please don't misunderstand this...I do not in any way think that I am some kind of super parent who knows magical secrets to childrearing. In fact, I am the opposite. Most of the time I feel hopelessly clueless about what to do. I have had no other experience with kids other than my own. My son's diaper was the first I've ever changed. My son was basically my teacher and my guinea pig, at times. I constantly wonder whether or not I am doing the right thing.
Also I decided not to have any epidural or pain meds when I gave birth to my second little boy. I practiced my breathing and meditating. And when time came my labor was over before it ever started. I had the fastest labor ever. I didn't really even get to put to use all that breathing I practiced. God must have known what a wimp I was and decided to spare me the pain of a long drawn out labor....( or maybe he just felt sorry for me because I pushed so long with the first one.)
All these things really just make me wonder if I should be offended in some way. "Hey God, I'm tough. I am not a wimp." Nah, nevermind... just kidding. God knows what He is doing. I am just so very grateful that for whatever reason He has blessed me, this imperfect person who fumbles awkwardly thru life just trying to do her best, with this wonderful family and life that I have.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Sounds like you're a good mommy. Makes a world of difference. Although my son was really good all the time until he was about 4. Then he started having opinions. Loudly. ;)